Monday, May 12, 2008

learning to ride a bike, day 1

This weekend we decided to try and take our 5 year old's training wheels off her bike. She was a little leary but decided if she came prepared with all precautions (knee pads and elbow pads) that she would be safe!


She was very nervous in the beginning. She refused to even get on the bike at first but we convinced her that daddy wasn't going to let go and she wouldn't get hurt. Look how sad she looks in this picture above. She does not want to be doing this. This coming from a girl who's favorite ride at Disneyland is THE HOLLYWOOD TOWER OF TERROR!



After a couple of minutes and a few times around our circle she's feeling a little more confident. Look how proud and happy she is with herself!




In the end, she decided to stick with her scooter for now. Maybe we'll try again tomorrow...

10 comments:

Kim said...

I can't ride a bike either!! I too would stick with the scooter!

lindsey said...

my daughter was exactly the same! it took seeing her best friend fly past her on a bike to get up the confidence to try again and succeed. isn't it funny that peer pressure is a good thing at this age?!

Stephanie said...

I think that's going to push her over the edge Linsdey. As soon as she sees her friends doing it she'll be ALL over it! I'll keep you posted :)

Stephanie said...

That's so funny Kim! I haven't tried to ride a bike in years but I think I could still do it. Scooters are fun though!

Carlie said...

Jeff does all the training in our house (toilet and bikes) and he always just took off 1 training wheel first.
Good luck!

Anonymous said...

She looks great on the pink scooter! Hang in there, she'll be riding that bike sooner than you think.

BTW, you've been blogging up a storm. I need to update mine!

Alicia @ refinedisaiah648.blogspot.com said...

What sweet pics! She is trying so very hard!!!
Blessings!

elexisb said...

Your photos are beautiful! Wish I had a good camera like yours!

Stephanie said...

Thanks Elexis. I just have a Canon point and shoot but it serves its purpose :)

Anonymous said...

My daughter will be 7 in August and has developed a fear of riding her bike. I think I push too hard. I've never wanted my children to be afraid of ANYTHING. Hopefully, she will change her mind so we can enjoy family rides together.

Jen
http://www.listplanit.com