Thursday, July 31, 2008

Swim Lessons

Skyler is just finishing up 2 weeks of swim lessons with 2 more weeks to go. She had them last year (private lessons, one on one, 3 times a week for 15 minutes each day) and she was doing really well. She loved her teacher and loved going to lessons. Then this year rolled around and she said she didn't want to go. Her reasoning, she didn't want to put her face in the water.
Well, she was going to go, whether she liked it or not, but where she went was another thing all together. Last year's school is totally hard core. I loved it because they are all about teaching water safety. They want your child to be able to survive if he or she falls in the pool. I don't know about you but I think this is pretty important!

Skyler, on the other hand, sees no importance in this at all. "I don't need to know how to swim. You can just take me around the pool or I'll stay in the shallow end." Uh, I don't think so sister! So, I started to change my way of thinking and started wondering if she needed to see other kids swimming to give her that peer pressure to do better. I also wondered about her not wanting to put her face in the water.

Here are my two compromises: goggles and group lessons! The minute she put those goggles on she could magically swim. It was incredible! She just wasn't liking opening her eyes under water but this has solved that.
And I think the group lessons are working too. There is a little girl in her class that's a pretty good swimmer so that pushes Skyler to try to keep up. Here she is chatting it up with a girl in her class. Such a social butterfly!
No problem! She can even do it with her eyes closed!

She's doing great and today she gets to jump off the diving board into 10 ft of water! Stay tuned to see if I jump in after her or let her teacher catch her...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww, she looks like she is doing great!

gina said...

So much fun! I still remeber my swim lessons from when I was a kid. :)

Ann said...

I am glad everything worked out and that she is really enjoying the water. BTW, your new profile pic. is cute..

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such a nice message. It is fun to meet new people! Your little girl is darling and you are so talented!!